Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Roses in December & Warm Socks


Yep- those are roses blooming today, December 11th out by the lamp post in front of my house here in Northern California. It has been a super warm and dry fall so far. We had to get out there and WEED the front yard planted area because the weeds were growing!! Usually, we can kick back and ignore the yard this time of year - the frost kills the weeds and everything else just sleeps. But not this year.

I'm just not into yard work in December. Actually, I'm not into yard work much at all lately. Just wanna get on the sailboat and go.

So - on the knitting front...I finished the socks for my younger son. I was afraid that he wouldn't wear them because he is so picky about his clothes. But he was home visiting this weekend from college and he wore the socks!!! That's the nicest thing he could do!!! Who needs christmas gifts??? Not me...all I need is for one of my sons or husband to wear something that I've knitted.


So here are the lastest "warmy" socks! They are made from Regia yarn (self-patterning). I used a 4 x 2 ribbing for the leg and top of foot to give them some "hug" to the leg. Also, he likes his socks a little longer so I cast on 2 extra stitches at the cuff to fit his calf better (without squeezing). So I worked a tubular cast on, then 1 x 1 ribbing. Before starting the leg, I decreased the 2 stitches to 72 so that the 4 x 2 ribbing would fit.

I was kinda worried that I wouldn't have enough yarn, but each sock took only one 50g ball with a tiny amount left over. Now I need to dig out some sock yarn to begin another pair for my other son as I need a simple project to take to social knitting get togethers. Most of my sock yarn is packed away already in "Space Bags" for the boat! Hmmm...buy more or break open the bags? I think this qualifies for an "EMERGENCY" yarn purchase!! Whooo Yooo!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?