Sunday, August 30, 2015

 

Who would Bury Fiber?

Really. Who in their right mind would bury fiber? Sure, it IS exactly my type of buried treasure, but why would they put an orange stick in the ground to advertise it to all of the knitters? What about moisture damage and bugs? As I stood in the hot North Carolina sun last June I pondered these questions. I even liked the little picture of a fiber knot on the pole. Imagine my disappointment when I was told by Jonesy that the "fiber" that was buried was a fiber-optic cable. It's not nice to fool knitters.

Jonesy mentioned to me today that he read an article about the fashion statement some are making with Eyebrow Slits. Wow - who would have thought that we would be so in style? What? Oh, while we were slowly cruising along the Intracoastal Waterway I noticed that Jonesy had some wild eyebrow hairs that needed trimming. (When you spend many hours every day outside in the bright light with not much to look at you do tend to notice stuff like this). Anyway, I thought it was a good time for me to give his brows a little loving trim.
OUR VERY FIRST "SELFIE"

Nothing much else to do anyway. Of course I was too lazy relaxed to climb down the 5 steps to the boat's interior to fetch the scissors so I simply picked up the fingernail trimmers that were next to me and started the attack.

And yes, it was an attack. Just a few snips in and the boat rocked with an unexpected wake, my hands got a little closer than I planned, and I took off a big slice of brow all the way down to the nub. OOPS! Jonesy said my eyes went as big as saucers!

No worries though. I managed to do a Donald Trump-style comb-over with the remaining long brow hairs and nobody would ever notice (except if the wind caught it). Another cruising lesson learned. Do not use sharp objects on facial hairs while afloat. See? We spent some time trying to figure out how to take a "selfie" with our new I-Pad so you get to see how what a cruiser looks like on the ICW (wind-blown and sunburned). We're smiling because we  are laughing at ourselves and how hard it was to figure out how to do this! There is a learning curve with this I-Pad device. We were out drifting about the seas while all this new fangled technology became available so we struggle as we learn how to use it. No, Apple Corp. it is NOT intuitive.

As part of my recovery exercises for my shoulder injury I attended an all-day class to weave an egg basket. Sure, I had to lie down on the floor a couple of times to stretch so I could continue, but I made great progress! This is my first attempt at weaving with reeds and I absolutely love the process. The beginning was a little tough, but once you get going with the up and down weaving part it's quite relaxing. Where? At the Glynn Visual Arts Center on St. Simons Island.

This is the same place that I took my Glass Fusing classes and where I work on my ceramics. I'm so very lucky to have such a friendly resource close to me.

I'm still hand-building while my shoulder/neck heals and am really enjoying it. I've been making my own bisque stamps to decorate greenware (soft unfired clay) as in this photo of bracelet and pine needle basket pieces.

Several trays have come out of the glaze firing recently. This one shown is one of my favorites. I really don't have a lot of serving dishes on the boat and they are fun to make and decorate.

So, we're still in the marina here in Brunswick Georgia waiting for the cooler weather so we can begin the cosmetic projects for the boat. Of course all of the mechanical devices are working as Jonesy keeps up with those and always has. But the interior woodwork could use some polishing and the small amount of wood trim on the outside of the boat needs sanding and a coat of varnish. We DO MISS our $4 per hour help we had while in the Rio Dulce of Guatemala. But, life is good here in the USA too.

SPONGE DRYING TACO 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?